Tuesday, February 28, 2012

They're not good for your sanity


The Kings of Leon have the ability to inspire sadness. If you give their discography a good listen you'll find very few outright happy songs. Caleb Anthony's songwriting remains focused on the demons in his head and what he's going to do about them.

It's amazing how he's been able to do that consistently over four albums. For me, Come Around Sundown is their best so far. Let's go track by track. 

Avoid 'The Face' and 'The End' if you're down in the dumps, they'll take you to depths you didn't imagine possible and mess with your head. But that's what makes them so beautiful, the way they fester melancholy till you're engulfed by it. The degree to which they take the pain will have you bawling, Caleb's singing is relentless, his voice merciless. Listen to them back to back, and you'll go from being glum to distraught faster than a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport goes from 0-100. I still can't wrap my head around the potential these two songs have to meddle with emotions and yet I'm drawn to them even more at the end of a forgettable day.

'Pyro' is a queer song, neither here nor there. After listening to it for the 78888885474747th time today I still don't know what to make of it. All I know (and care) is that when it's blaring in my ears, I can close my eyes, hum along and feel my feet leave the ground. For its 4 minute 10 second duration, it's just me and the song. Nothing else, nobody else, no matter if I'm in the middle of a crowded bus or navigating Paharganj's Main Bazaar where it's advisable to always watch where you're walking. Let's just call it 'The Zone'. Watch the video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhyShipBfuM and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Ordinarily, I'd have to be slightly loopy and a little depressed to be writing this, but it requires exactly the opposite state of mind to think of each song independently. Detachment is difficult once you're hooked.

'Mi Amigo' – the underdog in the pack, it's easy to let it slip by unnoticed, sandwiched as it is between 'Birthday' and 'Pickup Truck'. I can see myself singing this while getting some sun in middle of the island drawn on the album's cover. It's lazy and lulls you into believing friendship is black and white. All those grey areas float past invisibly as you take the song at face value.
 

'Celebration' is a dark dark piece of work. The tone is ironic, I think The Kings meant to tease fans by naming it so. Instead it's 'Radioactive' that takes over those duties. Listen to the Choir Remix - a dozen kids and a professional choir in the chorus turn an ordinary song into a booming anthem.

I don't recommend Closer (presets remix). This version just takes away all the menace that really makes it stand out in 'Only By The Night'. In the remix, they've inexplicably managed to do away with the eerie baseline that is the soundtrack of my darkest nightmares.

Caleb is at his brooding best with 'Pickup Truck'. The title tells you nothing. By the end, I swear you'll hate to be so emotional and never intend to get physical. It's Raw Remorse and you can almost see Caleb writhing on the ground begging forgiveness and punishing himself.

'Mary' is the star of the album, perfect when your throat is in good enough shape for a bit of screaming sing-along. Cheesy as it, you'll never want to make her cry.

I'm not such a big fan of 'The Immortals' and 'Beach Side', either they'll take time to grow on me or they just don't match up to the rest of the album.

The big positives are the following three tracks – 'No Money', 'Birthday' and 'Pony Up'. They're a hip-shaking, head-bobbing threesome and contain lyrical gems such as 'I got no money but I want you so' and 'We're gonna come together, we're gonna celebrate, we're gonna gather round like it's your birthday.' 'Pony Up' makes me want to dance. Never thought I'd say it, but there you go. That's how good it is.

Almost forgot about 'Back Down South', I'll never get enough of it. It's got a homecoming feeling to it. It's the perfect tune to listen to on a rainy day when you're surrounded by steaming food. There's brotherhood, camaraderie and reunion packed into every second. So it's apt for the brothers to perform this song for family and close friends in the video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBOuqyqmtJk


This isn't meant to be a review, not just because it's way too late, but also because I'm not a music critic. This is a tribute and a recommendation. It's a come-on-and-give-the-Kings-of-Leon a listen. 

It's also a weight off my chest. It's taken this long to step back a bit and write about what makes the Kings such great company for misery. I'm nowhere close to establishing that yet but understanding and breaking down Come Around Sundown was a good way to start. I'll have a go at the next album in a few days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

open your flaps